Saturday 1 June 2013

Whole 30



It's that time. I decided a few weeks ago to do a whole30 in June. If you're wondering what that means,  there's no better explanation than the one found on the Whole9Life website here. Basically, it's 30 days of eating only whole, clean foods. No dairy, no grain, nothing processed. (The guidelines also direct you to abstain from legumes, alcohol, and any sweeteners of any kind even the generally paleo-approved honey or maple syrup.)
Since I've already been eating paleo for a few months this won't be as drastic a change for me than if I were switching over from a SAD (standard American diet). One big change for me will be cutting out dairy. (I've continued to eat Greek yogurt, high quality cheeses, organic butter, and a little bit of cream for my coffee while I've been on paleo). Other changes will be giving up my Lindt Excellence 90% chocolate, my once-or-twice-a-week cocktail or cider, and giving up processed meats such as sausages and bacon.

If anyone's looking for information above and beyond what's offered on Whole9Life, I would suggest reading their book It Starts With Food. It provides a comprehensive and easy to understand explanation of the foods we eat, why we eat them, and how they can help or hinder our heath. What was most eye-opening to me was the discussion on the emotional and psychological responses we have to food. It made me relieved to know that I wasn't alone in the often destructive relationship I had with food, nor was I weak for turning to familiar flavours when I had cravings or a long day.

So here's to my whole30! I plan on photographing the foods I'm eating and I'll provide recipes when possible in hopes of keeping myself accountable and for creating a resource to anyone else working on a whole30 (or 45, or 60).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment