Monday 3 June 2013

I'll Have the Big Salad

As the title says, today for lunch I had a big salad. I wanted to try my hand at making a creamy salad dressing using avocado because I really don't like it so I always have to come up with ways to hide it in my food. The salad is mixed greens, a little bit of all the vegetables I had in my fridge, some fuji apple, and my dressing made as follows:

1/4 of an avocado
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp tahini
pinch of salt
pepper to taste
enough water to bring it all together (I probably used about 3-4 tbsp)

I blended this all in my food processor and tossed it all together. I was delicious and quite filling despite having no meat. 


Later on, I decided to make homemade Larabars. They're great to have available for a particularly long bike ride or day at work. I sometimes find myself buying them on my break at work if I didn't bring enough food and because they're pricey and not always available, I figured I would make some to have on hand (but not to eat everyday since they're very calorically dense and may, possibly violate a whole30 rule: "no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices" (but I'm pretty sure they're fine).

I made mine by putting an equal amount (about 1 cup) of dry roasted cashews and pitted dates into my food processor and processing until the mixture was smooth. About halfway through I added a bit of lemon zest. Then I formed the mixture (should be a thick, dry-ish paste) into bars, wrapped them, and put them in the fridge.


Finally, while waiting for my dinner to finish cooking (ribs!) I decided to make clarified butter (or ghee). It's whole30 compliant and to be honest, I love the flavour of butter. Eggs just aren't eggs without it. I've never made or even eaten it before but it's always nice to try new things, right? I used these directions which seemed very thorough and were easy to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment