Wednesday 26 June 2013

Protein, Lunch, Dinner

This morning I had more chia seed muesli (and I didn't think I'd need to post yet another picture of it). I made one small change though. I've been toying around with the idea of adding a plant-based protein powder to the mix specifically for long run days. I decided to add some in today to see how it felt. I added half the recommended amount to the chia mix, then had the other half in a smoothie when I got home. I have no idea if it was just a placebo effect, but I felt good with the added protein. I most likely could have gotten the same macronutrients with some sweet potato and a boiled egg, but I liked the addition of the protein powder. I'm going to keep trying it on and off to see if there really is a true difference (and to see whether it's worth actually buying). This is the one I used, by the way. It is paleo except for the addition of brown rice protein (the main protein source is from peas and sacha inchi seeds). It also contains vanilla flavouring and stevia. It isn't whole30 approved, so I really should have waited until next week to try it, but I've really gotten into thinking about getting ready for the half-marathon in the fall. Another cheat? Sigh, technically yes. 

Here's lunch. I brought some of the cauliflower-rice pilaf, two meat muffins; some almonds, walnuts, and raisins; and an apple. 


This evening I didn't really feel like anything particular for dinner. I was hungry, but didn't really feel like eating. It would have been a great day to just switch all my dietary needs to soylent. I pressed on. Really, the only thing I felt like I could eat was fruit so I decided to make that a big component of my dinner. I added a couple scrambled eggs and some kale sautéed in clarified butter and seasoned with the ras el-hanout spice blend from Well Fed. I like having breakfast for dinner, but honestly I could have just spent the whole night eating fruit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment