Tuesday 25 June 2013

Breakfast, Lunch, Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs

This morning for breakfast I had more chia seed muesli. Since it's summer I'm leaning more toward sweet, cold breakfasts and on days when I wake up at five, it's so nice having something pre-made that I don't have to cook. It's also nice being able to change the flavour with different fruits. This one had raisins mixed into the chia and hemp heart mix so they plumped up overnight. I topped it with frozen peaches and cherries, and some unsweetened coconut. Perfect with a cup of coffee. 


For lunch I had more of my chicken hot plate meal, an apple, and some almonds and raisins. Since I was hungry after eating a similar lunch yesterday I added the egg (sprinkled with celery salt) for some extra protein. There's something so satisfying about getting perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs (rich, dark yellow yolk with no hint of grey around the edges, and an easily removable shell). I've decided to share my technique which works perfectly every time. I got this method from the highly trusted authority in all things culinary: Alton Brown, via one of his post-it twitter q&a's. Here's the one that relates to our purpose. I already knew about putting the eggs in cold water and bringing to a boil (that way they don't crack) and letting them sit in the hot water for a set amount of time before cooling them. What I didn't get was why sometimes the shell insists on sticking to the egg white and I end up mangling my egg in the peeling process, until I saw this. Week old eggs! Weaker membranes! It works. every. time. Thank you, Alton!
I try to buy a new dozen when I get down to four. I then boil the four, and by that point they've been in my fridge for about a week already. They always turn out perfect this way. 

Until tomorrow.


Oh, where's dinner? I went to a friend's place after work to help with a project. I figured it would only take 3-4 hours, so I figured I would just come home and eat around 8:30-9:00. Welp, it didn't quite happen that way. I didn't get home until nearly 10:30 and I had snacked much of the evening on grapes and brazil nuts. Though these items made for a delicious "dinner" it wasn't quite ideal. Oh well, it happens. I had a couple celery stalks with sunflower butter and now I'm ready for bed. I'll eat for real tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment