Friday 7 June 2013

Breakfast for Lunch

I spent the most of the morning and early afternoon cleaning the apartment and trying to make the best out of a grey, cold day. I wasn't hungry most of the morning (I did put down the broom long enough for a handful of almonds, some almond milk, and a few dates). Then, suddenly, I was hungry and wanted something savoury and warm. I went with one of my quick meal go-to's - breakfast! I love having eggs with other savoury items for lunch or dinner. It's quick, filling, and rich. What you see here is a simple sweet potato, kale, and prosciutto hash with an over easy egg on top. This could have also been a tasty omelette. There's no real recipe, but here's what I did:

1/2 small sweet potato (it was tiny, so if you have a big one use 1/3) chopped into small chunks
1 slice of prosciutto, cut into small pieces or thin strips
handful of kale, chopped 
2 tsp clarified butter/ghee, separated
salt & pepper

In a skillet heated to medium, melt the butter and add the sweet potato. Cook until the sweet potato starts to get soft, about 5-8 minutes depending on the size of your pieces. Add the prosciutto and cook for another 2-3 minutes, then add the kale. Cook until the kale just begins to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Put the kale and sweet potato mix into a bowl and wipe out the skillet, if necessary. Add the second tsp of butter and crack the egg into the pan. Cook it sunny side up or over easy, what ever you prefer, then serve it on top of the sweet potato hash. I sprinkled a little salt and pepper over the egg. 


No comments:

Post a Comment