Wednesday 19 June 2013

Dinner / Breakfast

Quick post today...I still need to finish my coffee, make my lunch, and get ready for work. Last night I had a duck burger with mustard, lettuce, and tomato. I also had a quick salad of mixed greens, carrot and apple, and dressed it with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I finished off the other half of my roasted sweet potato with ras al-hanout, and on the side I had a little grated beet salad with lime juice, coconut milk, cumin, salt, and coriander. It was alright, but I need to tweak the seasoning a bit I think.  


This morning I was really in the mood for a smoothie so I made a small one and scaled down my regular breakfast to one egg and one slice of prosciutto. I also had some of the jicama home fries on the side. My smoothie came from the fact that yesterday at Fresh they had a new "Red Velvet" smoothie on the menu that I was tempted to try. I decided instead to try making it at home. Their version is made with pineapple, beets, strawberry, and ginger. I decided to stay more true to classic red velvet; I made mine with strawberry, raspberry, beet, half a banana, and a spoonful of cocoa. It turned out awesome - fruity - but not too sweet - with a slight hint of chocolate. Here's what I used:

Paleo Red Velvet Smoothie
use whole30 compliant almond milk, or swap for coconut.

ice
1/2 frozen banana
handful of frozen raspberries
4 strawberries
2 tbsp grated beet
1 tbsp cocoa powder
3/4 - 1c almond milk (until desired consistency is reached)

I like to crush the ice first in the blender, then add all other ingredients and blend until smooth.


By the way, the use of cocoa was apparently debated a bit before being deemed okay for the whole30. Dallas & Melissa's stance is that it is technically okay, but since chocolate is a food crutch/addiction for many people, it may not be wise to use it in your whole30 because it may hold you back from re-forming your healthy relationships with food. If you're doing a whole30 and were/are a chocoholic...keep this in mind. It could easily be left out of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment