Wednesday 11 September 2013

Yesterday and Today (This Little Piggy...)

Yesterday I left off with breakfast. It was my first day of fall classes yesterday so I had a bit of running around to do. I have class from 12:50 until 2:50 and again 6:30 to 9:30. This large gap gives me time to get a head start on my readings for next week, as well as time to eat a quick dinner before my evening class. Since I didn't have lunch (still no appetite), and I ate this at about 4:30, I'll call it lupper. I had two of the revised meat muffins (calling them mini meatloaves now). The added vegetables tasted amazing and I'll be making them this way from now on for sure. With them I had some balsamic roasted vegetables and an apple with sunflower butter. 


Today I called in sick for work. I woke up before dawn to get ready for my 7am shift, and though I was basically ready to head out the door I just couldn't make it. I felt sluggish, I could barely keep my eyes open, and once again I had no desire to eat (very odd for me in the mornings). I decided to sit this one out, sleep in, and hope for the best. I woke up at nine, still in my jeans. I decided to putter around the house since I wasn't feeling top notch. I hung some art, did a bit of (long overdue) cleaning, and cooked the ribs that were sitting in my fridge. I got these bad boys at the grocery store for only $7. I don't know how many pounds it was, but the rack was nearly as long as my arm - It had to be cut in half to fit in my oven. To season it I slathered on grainy mustard with liquid smoke, then added a dry rub. For the rub I basically raided my spice cupboard and put in a little of everything (though I was heavy-handed with the hot paprika, granulated garlic, cumin, and cayenne pepper). I put it under the broiler for about five minutes until it was crisp and beginning to brown, then slow cooked it at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for three hours - covered with aluminum foil for the second hour and a half.
This method was taken from The Kitchn.


And here's dinner. I had some balsamic veggies and romaine salad with my ribs - which turned out amazing.
Now if only I could kick the vanilla ice cream craving I've been battling all day I'd be set.


No comments:

Post a Comment