Thursday 12 September 2013

Taco Thursday

This morning I woke up before the sun feeling a little more like myself. This morning, unlike yesterday, I actually had the motivation to get out of bed. I started the day with another green smoothie (this one had 3/4 of a banana, a handful of kale, sunflower butter, and almond milk). I also had a cup of cold brewed coffee made using the method in this post from A Beautiful Mess. This was my first time making cold-brewed coffee and it turned out a bit weak. Either I didn't give it enough time (though I left it overnight) or my ratio was off. At least it's so simple I can try again. 


For lunch at work I had mini meatloaf and balsamic vegetables with a hard-boiled egg on the side. Nothing too exciting here, but it did keep me full until I got home.


When I made it through the door at around five, I found my boyfriend had taken it upon himself to make salsa from scratch. I don't know what recipe he used, but it tastes amazing. I was very proud. We had some leftover taco chicken mixed with romaine, and attempted the coconut flour tortillas from Paleo Comfort Foods. The recipe itself is quite simple:

1/4 cup coconut flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt

coconut oil for the pan
Whisk all the ingredients together and preheat a nonstick pan with some coconut oil.  Pour about 3 tbsp of mixture* into the pan at an angle and swirl around. Once golden brown, flip.
*I found 3tbsp worth to be much too little batter. I ended up using about 1/4 cup per tortilla which filled my 10" pan. These are very delicate and prone to ripping. Make sure they are completely unstuck from the pan before trying to flip them. 
The tricky part is in the method. We ended up making two batches of this recipe and ended up with only about five serviceable tortillas. Of those, four of them were a bit on the small side and the one perfectly sized one was a tad too thin and tore when attempting to wrap. That said, they had a decent flavour and held up okay with the toppings. With a bit of practice and customization, I bet we can get these working pretty well.


No comments:

Post a Comment