Monday 9 September 2013

Dessert and Breakfast

In addition to all the savoury cooking I did yesterday I decided to make some dessert for after dinner. This recipe is from Well Fed and is quite simple (yet more dynamic and indulgent than just eating berries on their own). It came together pretty quickly but if you make it be sure to read the recipe through once or twice before starting - it takes a little bit of pre-planning (chilling the coconut milk). I wasn't sure how coconutty the cream would taste and it turned out with much more vanilla flavour than coconut which was nice. Even though the cream is unsweetened, the coconut provides enough natural sweetness of it's own that it's no big deal. The salted toasted coconut on top is the perfect compliment and I could eat that stuff by the handful. 


This morning I woke up with absolutely no appetite. The idea of eating eggs and bacon made me feel queasy so I decided to just make some coffee and wait for my stomach to catch up. By 10:30 I still wasn't really feeling it but I decided to have a green smoothie just for the sake of getting something in. I made this one with a handful (about a cup) of kale, about half a cup of almond milk, two ice cubes, and a frozen banana. I also put in a spoonful of leftover vanilla coconut whipped cream from last night, and topped it with some of the toasted coconut and almonds, also from last night. This tasted great and was just what I needed - not quite a full meal, but something to tide me over until my appetite kicks in. 




No comments:

Post a Comment