Saturday 31 August 2013

Breakfast, Dinner, (and lunch for tomorrow)

I stumbled across this recipe for paleo oatmeal the other day. When I first started paleo, I looked at lots of paleo oatmeal recipes because oatmeal was my go-to breakfast. It was the one thing I was really hung up about letting go of. At first, I avoided making any of them because I wanted to break my habits and look for alternative choices rather than substitute my favourite non-paleo foods (the same reason I still haven't made paleo brownies, tempting as it is). 
What I liked about this one is how simple it is, and that it can be eaten hot or cold. The recipe can be found here. The only deviation I made was leaving out the vanilla extract (I was out) and using almond milk rather than coconut when I cooked it. I had it both hot and cold (the picture is from when I had it cold) and I actually liked it cold better. Though the hot version was sweet and comforting, the cold one had a more pleasing texture (not quite crunchy, not quite chewy). It also has a flavour vaguely similar to one of my favourite cereals - Quaker Harvest Crunch. And best of all? I was full for about five hours after eating it. This cereal is amazing. 


Next I wanted to try another recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods. The stuffed pepper recipe looked good (I can't find a recipe posted online so I'll leave it in the book). 
I was a little concerned when I read through the recipe. I've noticed that many recipes from PCF don't call for salt. I'm fine with salting my own food to taste, but these turned out a bit on the bland side regardless. I think this recipe would be transformed by some different fresh herbs (the parsley it calls for doesn't add much) and some spices. It has potential and is pretty inexpensive so I'll likely return to it, but it's a little boring as written. That's a quiche in the background - recipe also from PCF - which I've now made so many times I know the recipe by heart. That recipe is a definite winner and one of my favourites from the book for sure. 


And now to sit back, watch some tv, and count down the two hours or so until my second whole30 officially begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment